| The Church of Santa Maria della Rotonda
was in the past a nymphaeum within Domitian's villa. The Roman
soldiers of the Legione Partica transformed it in baths. The structure
was later abandoned. In the 11th century some nuns coming from
Greece took possession of this structure. They brought with them
a Virgin's icon still preserved in the Church. During the past
centuries the church underwent several changes but in 1938 it
was restored giving it its present form and structure.
The structure shows a square-shaped front preceded by a small portico with
part of the original wall and a mosaic floor of Severus age,
reproducing with small white and black pieces of stone sea monsters.
The interior has a circular plan with four great niches at the
angles. The church has a dome-shaped vault with a central oculus.