DOC Areas> Colli Albani> Towns
Albano Laziale> Monuments
Church of Santa Maria della Stella

Construction's age
16th century

via della Stella

the church can be visit from 8:00 am to 12:00 am and from 15:00 pm to 19:00 pm, while to visit the churchyard it is necessary to go to the local museum; after payment of an entrance fee visitors will be accompanied by a guide

from the via Appia - Borgo Garibaldi turn to via della Stella. You can park your car near the church

Accessibility for Handicapped

Tourist signs
in the church there is an explanatory board

Guided visits
"it is possible to visit the church with a guide within a tour organized by the local museum, in Italian or in English, that can be reserved by phone call 06 9323490 or by fax 06 9325759"

guides and booklets can be bought in the local museum
Church of Santa Maria della Stella

In the year 1561 Cristoforo e Domenico Savelli gave to the Carmelites the small chapel built over the Catacombs. In 1621 the convent was enlarged and in 1633 the Carmelites started to build a new church. In 1687 the works were ended. The façade still shows the miraculous Virgin's icon.

According to the legend a drunk carter threw a stone at the icon and the stone remained infixed in the wall. The interior with a nave and four side altars preserves the gravestone of Maria Theresa of Austria died from the plague in Albano in 1867. On the high altar there is a picture representing the Virgin with the Bambino. The Virgin's mantle has a star (stella) over it, thus the name of the Church. In the churchyard or the ‘Churchyard of the plague' there are the mortal remains of those died from the plague.

Back Top

Companies Search
DOC areas
Colli Albani
  - Albano Laziale
        - History's notes
        - Monuments
  - Ariccia
  - Castel Gandolfo
Colli Lanuvini
<< Go to the previous page
Home | Introduction | DOC areas | Environment | Routes | The Art | The past | Feasts and exhibitions | Gastronomy | Companies | Wine's route